Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I think I can....I think I can....


Some days Fount of Mercy feels like the children story book "The Little Engine That Could". Do you remember that story? In the tale, a long train must be pulled over a high mountain. Larger engines, are asked to pull the train; for various reasons they refuse. The request is sent to a small engine, who agrees to try. The engine succeeds in pulling the train over the mountain while repeating its motto: "I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can".

As I spend my time working on grant applications for each of our four programs, I am constantly amazed at the huge task ahead of us. Sure it would be so much simpler if we just focused on one thing but instead we have committed to responding to the orphan crisis as holistically and sustainability as possible: supporting orphan caregivers with supplemental care and vocational training; investing in pre-existing local organizations/community schools; and equipping the younger generation with life skills and sex education.

It sound like a lot because it is. "I-think-I-can, I-think-I-can". The good news is that we're not alone in our huge task. We've got your encouragement and financial support. We have incredible peers on the field that challenge us. Most importantly we have the amazing Ugandan men and women on the ground level who inspire us with their dedication to their communities most vulnerable.
 


~Written by Michelle, for the Fount of Mercy staff.

No comments: