Thursday, May 12, 2011

Focus on Change



This past March, Michelle Johnston taught a group of deaf Ugandan students and a group of teenage boys how to become photographers. Here is what Michelle had to say about teaching photography in Uganda:

" I have been blessed with such an incredible opportunity to teach and be taught. I am so passionately gracious for the chance I've been given in life to do this work, and proud to say that my life lead me here. A huge maybe shy and nervous part of me always knew I wanted to do this work. I always had a passion to come to Africa and I remember wanting to be a photographer from the first time I touched a camera.

I have moments of insane realism here, where I have to stop and remind myself to soak in this moment because this is where I'm making my start. This is where I've started the journey to where I hoped dreams could become reality.

I feel awaken and alive by my students. In my Care & Share group, not a single one of them had EVER used a camera in their life! And on top of that..had never even used a computer! To know that I have taken what I love and love to teach and have shared a huge part of myself and my passion with someone else is incredible. I wish it upon everyone. I'll always look back at this with pride and amazement. I can't believe I am having such a cool opportunity. It's incredibly rejuvenating as a human being."


Written by Michelle Johnston
Fount's Focus on Change Coordinator

Focus on Change exposes vulnerable children in Uganda to the power of art, empowering their voice and emotional development.

No comments: